Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Last night's training



It went well. Better than my last session at least. My wrist gave me less problems, and my conditioning is really starting to noticeably improve. My rest times have lessened and I'm taking far fewer breaks during rounds on the heavy bag. My shins took a royal beating from all of the kicks, but that's fine. I knew full well what I'd experience going into this so I started conditioning my shins to take the abuse awhile back. How did I do that? Well, I rub a wooden dowel rod up and down my shins to help kill nerve endings (bro science? I don't know but it seems to work) and have been hitting them hard with my solid rubber flexbar. If I had a giant black RPD (rigid pleasure device) I'd use that. In public. But not on my shins.  Uhhh so anyway here is a brief overview of the workout:


  • Combo work on the heavy bag using power (jab high, jab high, right cross to the torso), coupled with the same combo on the mitts while going for speed. 
  • Speed ladder and jump rope for conditioning and foot work
  • More mitt work to work the jab, cross, left hook, uppercut combo. 
  • Even more mitt work but this time with the thai pad for throwing kicks into the combos
  • Heavy bag utilizing all of the various learned combos, including kicks and knees. 
  • Shadow boxing coupled with sprawling. Simple jab, cross, jab, cross, sprawl. I felt like I did this about 100 times, but it was probably more like 10
  • Finished with 2 minutes of hard jump rope using varying footwork techniques. I'm not too bad with the jump rope, but doing this last was quite humbling. I stumbled more then I wanted (I think 4 times total) and it felt like an eternity. 2 minutes with the rope is absolutely nothing so I need to spend more time using the rope, or just realize I'm still a beginner and just keep doing what I'm doing. 
I really wish I would have joined some form of martial arts when I was younger. I feel like this is what has been missing from my life for a long time. I'm hooked. Today I'll be strength training. Squats, dips, pull-ups, and farmer's walk are on the agenda. 

Eat big, train hard, train smart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment